I actually have news today. I wasn't too impressed with Charlie's kindergarten teacher so I tried to get him switched out of the class on the first day of school. The principal really wanted me to wait and see how things went.
Well, I waited and on Tuesday I did some volunteering in his classroom and realized that it was time to make the switch. Charlie's so structured. He makes up rules for all of us because he NEEDS rules. Just the other day before dinner he was making up the new rule that only one person could get out a red cup at a time (he was getting out a red cup) so that the person who has a red cup doesn't get confused with other people's cups. It was so hilarious and unfortunately I already had a cup out so that would have meant his rule would prevent him from getting out his chosen cup. The point is he thrives on order.
His kindergarten teacher seemed to feel discipline and order brought negativity into the classroom. You can imagine how that group of kids had a hey day with that. Charlie just became more and more frustrated and took the law into his own hands several times.
I went into the principal on Wednesday and said it wasn't working out so I wanted Charlie to be with a different teacher. He told me that we'd have him switch at the beginning of the next term which is not for a week and a half.
This morning on my way into school the principal pulled Charlie and I aside and said Charlie could move into the all day kindergarten class today!!!
I wanted to cry tears of joy when I walked into Mrs. Gibson's classroom. She has seating assignments and discipline charts/plans/rules. She spoke directly to Charlie and gave him specific directions! When they do center's its amazing. They have an assignment at each center and then when it's time to rotate they put it in a folder! and take that with them to the next center where they accomplish another academic task. In Charlie's take home folder I got more work from him just today than I've gotten the entire year from his former teacher.
I just wanted to share this amazing news.
I don't want to make it sound like I'm glad to get rid of Charlie for the whole school day, but I do think I'll survive the lonely afternoons as best as I can.
Thomas first year of 4-H
11 years ago
2 comments:
Yipee! Hooray! Finally some sanity in this crazy world!
That would be so stressful knowing your child isn't doing well in a certain classroom setting. I"m glad you took the initiative to change it. He is so funny, I am sure he will respond much better to this. Way to observe!!
Post a Comment