August 29 passed me by and I didn't even remember that it's been 4 years since Hurricane Katrina blew over me and my little crew. I wasn't worrying about anything at all that day and I didn't spare a thought for that wild time in my life. Today I was looking through old pictures and I realized that it was 4 years ago that the entire Gulf Coast was a complete wreck and people were lucky if they had water, food, and shelter. Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones.
I couldn't bring myself to take pictures of the storm damage at the time because I didn't want to remember. Finally in December I dragged the kids down to our little beach and took a few pictures. Keep in mind, this is a little over 3 months after the storm. I never did take pictures of any of the places I loved and lost. It was like taking pictures of a corpse.

This is a view of the Biloxi casinos and I guess I would have to have a before picture to appreciate the after. It was such a mess, though.

This was a little seafood store on front beach in Ocean Springs.

This was the apartment complex I lived in a year before the storm. We were even on the 3rd floor. I was glad I wasn't there during Katrina.

This is my little crew our first day returning to church after the storm. I included this picture because I can't believe how young they were. Rebecca was 6, Shari was 4, Adrian was 3, and Charlie was 1.
5 comments:
I can't believe it's been that long ago. I'm looking at stuck feathers on my kitchen window because a bird just flew into it. Gross. That poor dumb bird. I hope he recovers. I got off subject...I'm glad that you made it through that.
I almost forgot too. Have you been back since you left?
My old house was completely flooded. I remember seeing the pictures of all the cabinets and sheetrock on the side of the road.
I didn't go back after the storm-- I guess like you said, going back to look at something that wasn't there.
A very sad storm, but a wonderful catalyst for change for Sarah and company. I can't believe the pictures! How are you? I would love to talk to you one of these days. Of course, that would mean I would need to use my phone. . . :) Miss you!
I didn't realize that you were part of all that. I am grateful that the winds of change brought you into all of our lives.
That is how I remember your kids. Now they are so grown up.
Post a Comment